On historic ground
Before Norway and Sweden agreed on the exact border in 1751, no one officially had permanent residence on the south side of the lake, apart from two wood-cutters placed there by the mine administrators at Røros. Two years after the agreement a Jon Jonsen, a carpenter, applied for the property now called Sorken. He rebuilt an old house on it, which he brought with him. That building is now the western part of the old house.
The farm has had a varied production. Cows, sheep, goats, horses and probably many other animals have been a source of livelihood. In addition to that it has been a post-change or "horse change inn" for two hundred and fifty years. The farm offered overnight facilities and fresh horses to Swedes travelling with goods from Mora to Røros right up until 1930. It could house up to 40 horses. Today the tradition is commemorated every two years, on about the 12 of Feburary when enthusiasts repeat the trip with horses and sledges in order to get to the yearly market at Røros.